Beaches in Goa
The beaches in Goa is stretching along 150 kilometers in the coast of Konkan, offering Sun, Sand, Surf and Sea; beautiful beaches and comfortable accommodations making of these places good destinations for vacations and you can choose between enormous possibilities. How Goa is separated in two Districts the circuit of beaches is divides in two circuits too, below describe both.ç
North Goa Circuit
Foreign and local tourist can enjoy of tropical beaches located from the border of Maharashtra until Fort Aguada in Panjim, wonderful beaches in interrupted bank of sand awaiting tourist, sunbathers and party animals. In this circuit you can choose between the beaches of Aguada, Anjuna, Arambol, Baga, Calangute, Candolim, Miramar, Morjim, Sinquerim and Vagator.
South Goa Circuit
To long of the coast of Margao and other south cities of Goa, you can find 20 kilometers of silvery white sand, these beaches are extended from Cabo de Rama until Majorda Beach, all interconnected. The beaches that you can choose in the south circuit are Agonda, Benaulim, Betalbatim, Betul, Bogmalo, Cavelossim, Colva, Majorda, Mobor, Palolem, Varca and Velsao.
Since arrive the Portuguese many beautiful and magnificent buildings were constructed, these churches are a large legacy of the Portuguese colonization, and each one is unique because was built in different times and styles such as the baroque, Indian baroque, rococo, and modern periods. Some churches are details below.
Bom Jesus Basilica
The church is marked as a World Heritage Monument, its construction was made from 1594 to 1605, and in 1946 was elevate to a minor Basilica. Maybe it is the most important and beautiful church in India, which is a fine example of Jesuit architecture, showing a model of simplicity and elegance, but it is partially in ruins. The Basilica is the unique which isn’t plastered on the outside.
The Convent and Church of St Francis of Assisi
The church was built in 1521, and has different styles as the main altar that is in Baroque with Corinthians features, the main entrance is in Manuline style and the exterior of the church is in Tuscan order style. The magnificent church has the chapels, on either side, a choir, to altars in the transept, and main altar. Today the convent is house of the Archaeological Museum.
It was built by Mons Francisco do Rego, finished in 1965, is the most ostentatious church that was built in Goa, has a beautiful and excellent colonial architecture, this church was dedicated to St Anne.
Is the most ancient Catholic building of Goa, the construction of the church was made between 1562 and 1619, the style of the building is Portuguese Gothic with Tuscan exterior and Corinthian interior. The big building is 76,2 m in length, 55,2 m in wide and 35 m high in the frontispiece, and was thought for to be "a grandiose church worthy of the wealth, power and fame of the Portuguese who dominated the seas from the Atlantic to the Pacific". The Cathedral is also known as St Catherine’s Cathedral, because the church was dedicated to St Catherine of Alexandria on whose feast day in 1510 Alfonso Albuquerque defeat the Muslim army and took possession of City Goa.
St Augustine Tower
The ruins of the tower is the most spectacular landmark of the ancient Goa Portuguese, it was built in 1602 by Augustinian friars, the church was built in the same time, the tower served as belfry and formed part of the facade of a magnificent Church.
The Church Of Our Lady Of The Rosary
Near of the Bom Jesus Basilica is located the Holy Hill where is the Church Of Our Lady Of The Rosary; the church has two chapels and three altars, the main altar is dedicated to Our Lady Of The Rosary, and has also round towers that give it an impression of a fortress church, which was built of laterite and plastered with lime mortar.
The Reis Magos Church
Located in the small town of the Reis Magos, nearby of the Mandovi River; the church was built in 1555, dedicated to the St Jerome; it is over the ruins of a Hindu temple, some symbols of the Hindu Vijayanagar temple architecture was found as a base relief of the lion figures. Near of the church is located the Reis Magos Fort, both are famous landmark of the village.
The Convent of St Cajetan and Church of Divine Providence
The beautiful church has Corinthian in its architecture style in both parts of the building, externally and internally, was inspired in the original design of the Basilica of St Peter in Rome, while the altars are in Baroque style; the church began to construct in 1655 and was finished in 1661, made of laterite blocks which are lime plastered. It is some kilometers away of the Sé Cathedral and near of the ruins of the Viceregal Palace.
The Church and College of St Paul
The ruins of the great church and college is located on the road from Old Goa to Ponda, near of the Gandhi Circle, the complex was built during three year and finished in 1943, day of the feast of conversion of the St Paul, the church is dedicated whom. Now only the arch of the façade is remains of the Church built in Doric Style. The complex was in a devastated state, completely demolished in 1829, and the material was carry to Panjim for new constructions.
Church of the Maria Immaculate Conception
Beautiful building was rebuilt in 1619; it magnificent church located in Panjim is relatively simple but has many statues and three altars.
Many forts are in Goa, these are smaller in comparison with the other forts in India, but are important historically, militarily, politically and economically. Some of them are describing below.
It was began in 1609 and finished in 1612, is located at the estuary of the river Mandovi, the fort was important for to defend the area of the invasion of the Dutch and the Marathas, now is well preserved this Portuguese bastion.
Cabo da Rama Fort
It is a fort with largest history; the fort was built by the ancient local governors yet, when the Portuguese arrive there in 1763, they built their own citadel, now this is in ruins, a couple of Old Portuguese cannons are in a crumbling turret, and only one habitable building is occupied by young scientist from the National Intitute of Oceanography.
The fort was built in 1617 by Portuguese, on a site of the ancient Muslim structure. Located 10 kilometer away from Mapusa, is a good place for to know, from there you can view the nearby beaches of Anjuna and Vagator.
The only spectacular gateway and the ruins of the fort are located inside of the famous Rachol Seminary, to 7 kilometers from Margao, was built by the Sultan of Bijapur yet, the fort passed to the Vijayanagar kingdom and lately under hands of the Portuguese.
Reis Magos Fort
It was built in 1551 for to protect the area from the attacks of the Hindu Marathas, is situated on the southeastern tableland on the Mandovi River’s right bank. The building first was a viceroy's home and of other dignitaries.
Built around 17th century by the Raja of Sawantwadi, later was rebuilt by the Portuguese Viceroy Dom Pedro Miguel de Almeida in 1764, located in the northern area of Goa, next to the Terekhol River, now its remains have been converted in a hotel.
Other forts exist in Goa such as Cabo Fort, near Panjim, at Dona Paula was built by the Portuguese in 1540, Corjuem Fort and Colvale Fort.
Two important mosques are in Goa. Safa Masjid that was built in 1560 by Ibrahim Adil Shah, located near of the Ponda town, and Namazgah, located 3 kilometers from Safa Masjid.
State Archeology Museum of Panjim
The museum was opened in 1977 and keeps Sculpture Gallery, the Christian Art Gallery, the Banerji Art Gallery, the Religious Expression Gallery, the Cultural Anthropology, the Contemporary Art Gallery and the Western Bronzes Gallery.
Christina Art Museum in Old Goa
It is a unique museum in its kind in Asia, is located in the Rachol Seminary, near of the Margao Town, the museum that has 350 square meters in its ground floor and 150 square meters in an upper floor gallery, keep religious items.
Naval Aviation Museum
It is located to long of the road from Vasco to Bogmalo, was established in 1998, is the only one of its kind in the whole Asia. The museum is divided in two sections, the outdoor and the indoors in a house, there you can see some airplanes, and aviation items.
It is the most famous temple of all Goan temples, is located near of the area known as Mangueshi, to 21 kilometers from Panjim city, was renovated in 1973, and is a important place to all Hindu devotees, dedicated to God Manguesh, is a beautiful building influenced by a mix of Hindu, Christian and Muslim styles.
Located to kilometer from the Mangueshi Temple, in the small village of Mardol, the temple has huge wooden pillars and a silver framed doorway.
Devki Krishna Temple
It is the unique temple where Lord Krishna is worshipped along India, and is located in the small town of Marcel, to 17 kilometers from Panjim. In the town exists several temples with more than 15 deities of the Hindu pantheon.
The temple was built before to 1413, located in the village of Bandode, in the area known as Nagueshi, near to the way to Ponda, is dedicated to Lord Naguesh. There are stones idols of Shiv-Paravati and Ganesh, and has a magnificent ancient tali surrounded by palms.
Tambdi Surla Temple
The temple dates of the twelve century, and is the most ancient temple of Goa, is located to 65 kilometers from Panjim; this small temple was built in Jain style, perfectly proportioned black basalt temple, and beautifully carved is dedicated to Lord Shiva.
It is an ancient temple with more than 200 years, located in the beautiful small village of Sristhal, surrounded by blue mountains and greenery, to 75 kilometers from Panjim.
Other temples that are located in Goa such as Anant Narsinha Temple in Veling, Mahalaxmi Temple in Bandivade, Mahalaxmi Temple in Panjim, Ramnath Temple in Ramnathi, Saptakoteshwar Temple in Narwe, and Mahadeva Temple in Tambdi Surla.
Beautiful buildings leave by the Portuguese are in Goa, mansions, houses, villages and palaces, some of them is listing: Salvador Costa mansion, Solar dos Colacos mansion, Pinto de Rosario mansion, Mascarenhas mansion, Voddlem Ghor in Chandor, Vivian Coutinho mansion, Colaco mansion and Palacio do Deao.